August 20, 2019 – October 17, 2019
Lyndon House Arts Center (LHAC), Athens, Georgia
Juror: Myrna Wacknov, NWS, CWA
Anticipated $1,500 in Awards
Original Water Media
Exhibition Chairs: Gail Watson and Mary Ann Cox
2019 Exhibition Timetable
|June 10||Deadline to receive entries|
|July 1||Acceptances posted on GWS website|
|July 30-August 2||Shipped work should arrive at LHAC|
|August 3||Hand delivered work arrives 10 am – 1 pm|
|August 21, -August 23||Myrna Wacknov workshop 9:30 am – 4:30 pm|
|August 24||GWS Board meeting 10:00 am – 12:00 pm |
Myrna Wacknov demo 12:30 – 2:30 pm
Awards ceremony 2:30 – 4:00
|September 5||LHAC reception 6-8 pm|
|October 17||Exhibition closes|
|October 18||Pick up paintings 10 am – 1pm|
|October 22||Shipped works returned|
Georgia Watercolor Society Member Exhibition Guidelines
Eligibility: This competition is open to all member artists 17 years of age and older. You need not be a resident of Georgia to enter. Your 2019 member dues must be current.
- All paintings must be original work using watermedia. Watercolor, acrylic, casein, gouache, and egg tempera are all allowed. Pastels and Oil, including Water-soluble Oil, are not allowed. Mixed media and collage are acceptable but only if all elements are made using watermedia created by the artist.
- No preprinted or computer generated images are allowed.
- Work must be on paper, Yupo, watercolor canvas, canvas or Clayboard.
- Not Permitted: Work done in a workshop or under classroom supervision or work that attempts to render another artist’s painting is not permitted.
- All work must have been completed in the last two years
- Work previously exhibited in any GWS show is not eligible. The Lyndon House Art Center requests that artists do not submit works that have been previously shown in the Northeast Georgia area 6 months prior to the GWS 2019 Members Exhibition.
- If your painting is accepted you will be required to sign a disclaimer form affirming that your work is not a copy or likeness of another’s work and that it is your original work from conception to completion without supervision.
- Click here for further clarification
- All paintings are to be framed in wood or metal; acceptable colors include gold, silver, black, brown or natural wood tones. Cradled Clayboard is not required to be framed; all other paintings require framing, including canvas.
- Frames are to be plain and unadorned and must not exceed 3” in width. They must be ready for hanging with wire in place.
- Plexiglass must be used – NO GLASS.
- Work may be varnished or waxed before framing (These paintings do not require plexiglass).
- Maximum frame size may not exceed 48” in either direction.
- Image size displayed within the mat is no smaller than 8” x 10”
- Mats and liners, if any, must be white or variations of white (e.g. cream or off-white).
- Improperly framed pieces or those unsuitable for hanging will be returned.
Packaging & Delivery/Shipping
- Timing: Ship artwork so as to arrive between 7/30/19-8/2/19.
- SHIP VIA UPS OR FEDEX ONLY TO:
- Lyndon House Arts Center
- 211 Hoyt Street
- Athens, Georgia 30601
- Lyndon House Arts Center
- Airfloat, Masterpack or comparable foam lined boxes are strongly recommended. You can call Airfloat at 800-445-2580 and ask for GWS member discount. Proper packaging is imperative to protect your work. Improper packaging may result in damaged, returned or unopened shipments. There is a handling fee of $25.00 for artists who do not use these boxes.
- Attach a photo of the painting inside the box so that it is visible when repacking. This will help ensure that the correct painting is returned to you.
- Wood or metal crates will not be accepted.
- Packages sent with popcorn or packing peanuts will not be included in the exhibition and returned.
- Paintings must be shipped to arrive at the center between July 30 and August 2, 2019.
- A prepaid return shipping label must be enclosed.
- Hand-delivered paintings must arrive at Lyndon House Arts Center, 211 Hoyt Street, Athens, GA 30601 on August 3 between 10 am and 1 pm.
- Pick-up is October 18 between 10 am and 1pm. No early or late pick-ups allowed.
Myrna Wacknov will jury and judge the show. GWS anticipates more than $1500 in merchandise and cash awards.
Fees, Sales & Liability
- Entry fee for up to three entries: $35 for members.
- There will be a charge of 40% commission on all sales with 30% going to Lyndon House Arts Center and 10% to GWS. Please price your paintings accordingly. Paintings not for sale must be marked NFS on the entry form.
- There will be no price changes after acceptance.
- Although the utmost care is taken in handling paintings neither the Georgia Watercolor Society, GWS Representatives, nor Lyndon House Arts Center will be responsible for damage or loss, whatever the cause during shipping and handling. Artists are encouraged to carry their own insurance. Once work is on display LHAC as part of Athens-Clarke County will maintain insurance for fire/ theft/ vandalism, and declares that all consigned artwork will be covered by said insurance while in LHAC possession. Reasonable efforts will be made to protect consigned artwork from accidental damage or breakage. Insurance liability for accidental damage or breakage is provided by LHAC and Athens-Clarke County.
- There is a handling fee for shipped paintings of $25.00. Make your check payable to Georgia Watercolor Society and include it with your painting, This fee is waived for artists who pack in Airfloat, Masterpack or comparable foam lined boxes.
Work accepted for the exhibition must be received by the final delivery date of August 3, 2019. No work may be withdrawn before the close of the exhibition. Once the artist’s painting has been accepted, the artist may not substitute another work, may not modify the painting in any way, nor change the sale price. If the work has been changed from the JPEG entry image, it will be excluded from the show. In the event of such an exclusion or if the accepted piece is not delivered, the artist will be ineligible to enter any GWS show for one year.
Online Entry Requirements
You will need the following information for each painting entered:
- Title of the painting
- Size of frame and size of painting in inches (height x width, i.e., 22” x 30”)
- Selling price or NFS (Not for Sale)
You will need a digital .jpg image of each painting saved on your computer per these instructions:
- Image resolution 300 DPI
- Image is 1800 pixels on the longer side
- File size less than 2.0 Mb
- Filename includes the title of the painting Example: PragueAtDusk.jpg
Payment online can be made via PayPal or credit card.
If you have trouble with the online payment, please send a check to:
310 Horseshoe Bend
Cairo, GA 39828
OR send your PayPal payment directly to email@example.com and indicate that it is for the Member Show Entry.
On July 1, 2019 a list of paintings and artists that have been accepted into the show and shipping instructions will be posted at: www.georgiawatercolorsociety.com. Please mark your calendars to check online as no email or postal mail notification will be sent.
Lyndon House Arts Center is operated by ACC Leisure Services as a center of excellence for the benefit and cultural enrichment of youth and adults. The Center offers rotating contemporary gallery exhibitions, an expansive art education program including classes and workshops for youth and adults, an open studio membership program, the Ware- Lyndon Historic House Museum (c. 1850) and garden, as well as cultural festivals and community-wide events.
| Watercolor Portraiture |
August 21 – 23, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Demonstration: Saturday, August 24, 2019, 12:30-2:30 PM
Lyndon House Arts Center, 211 Hoyt Street, Athens, Ga. 30601
During this three day workshop, Myrna will introduce you to three different working surfaces rather than traditional watercolor paper. ( A basic knowledge of watercolor is required)
Day 1: Self-portrait using a mirror or phone in selfie mode.
Surface: Gesso over watercolor paper
Day 2: Portrait using a photo taken with phone (self-portrait or another student in the class)
Day 3: Portrait using head and hands in the composition: We will select a pose from a set of professional photographs (provided by the instructor) and use our phones to take the self-portrait or that of another student in the class.
For those who are interested, Myrna will be sharing throughout the 3 days various was to use digital devices (phones, iPads,) using the camera and various programs to inspire innovative ideas for portraiture.
About Myrna: Myrna received her Signature Membership in the National Watercolor Society in 2005, and her Signature Membership in the California Watercolor Society in 2007.
Exhibiting with the California Watercolor Association Blackhawk Gallery, Myrna won numerous first and second place awards. She has been included in the California Watercolor Association national show, the Watercolor Association of Houston national show, Louisiana Watercolor Society, Transparent Watercolor Society, Rocky Mountain Watercolor Society (where she won the Louise Cadillac award), Watercolor West, and the National Watercolor Society. She won first place for Watercolor in the Society of Western Artists annual show. Myrna was included in the California Watercolor Competition at the Triton Museum, Santa Clara, California and the National Watercolor Society Member Competition.
The October 2007 issue of Watercolor Magic magazine has a feature article on her portrait process. She was featured in the March 2008 issue of Artist Magazine and appeared on the cover of Palette Magazine (December 2008 – January 2009 issue).
Check out her website for more information about Myrna and her work: www.myrnawacknov.com
Workshop space is limited. Admission is on a first-come, first-served basis.
Workshop fees are $350.00 for GWS members and $375.00 for non-members.
A non-refundable deposit of $200 will reserve your spot now. Full payment is due by July 15, 2019.
Member Show Entry Chair: Tracy Foutz-Hunt firstname.lastname@example.org
Member Show Co-Chair: Gail Watson email@example.com
Member Show Co-Chair: Mary Ann Cox firstname.lastname@example.org
President: Kie Johnson email@example.com