August 17, 2017 – October 7, 2017
Quinlan Visual Arts Center, Gainesville, Georgia
Juror: Jeannie McGuire
Anticipated $1,500 in Awards
Original Water Media
“Miami” by Jeannie McGuire
|June 9||Deadline to receive entries|
|June 29||Acceptances posted on GWS website|
|August 7 – 10||Shipped work arrives|
|August 11||Hand delivered work arrives 11 am – 2 pm|
|August 15 – 18||Jeannie McGuire workshop|
|August 17||Opening Reception and Awards 5:30 – 7:30 pm|
|August 19||Jeannie McGuire demo 10 am – 12 pm|
|October 7||Exhibition closes|
|October 9||Pick up paintings 11 am – 2 pm
Shipped works returned
- This competition is open to all artists 17 years of age and older. You need not be a resident of Georgia to enter.
- All paintings must be original work in water-based media. Water-based media must be the dominant element. Oils will not be accepted. Collage elements must be the original watermedia created by the artist.
- No preprinted or computer generated images are allowed.
- Work must be on paper, Yupo, watercolor canvas or Claybord.
- Work done in a workshop or under classroom supervision is not permitted.
- All work must have been completed in the last two years
- Work previously exhibited in any GWS show is not eligible.
- Click here for further clarification
- All paintings are to be framed in wood or metal; acceptable colors include gold, silver, black, brown or natural wood tones.
- Frames are to be plain and unadorned and should not exceed 3” in width. They must be ready for hanging with wire in place.
- Plexiglass must be used – NO GLASS.
- Work may be varnished or waxed before framing (These paintings do not require plexiglass).
- Maximum frame size may not exceed 48” in either direction.
- Image size displayed within the mat is no smaller than 8” x 10”
- Mats or liners, if any, must be white or a light neutral color.
- Improperly framed pieces or those unsuitable for hanging will be returned.
Packaging & Delivery/Shipping
- Airfloat boxes are strongly recommended. Call 800-445-2580 and ask for GWS member discount. Proper packaging is imperative to protect your work. Improper packaging may result in damaged, returned or unopened shipments.
- Attach a photo of the painting inside the box so that it is visible when repacking. This will help ensure that the correct painting is returned to you.
- Wood or metal crates will not be accepted.
- Packages sent with popcorn packaging will be returned.
Paintings must be shipped to arrive August 7 – 10.
A prepaid return shipping label must be enclosed.
SHIP VIA UPS OR FEDEX ONLY TO:Quinlan Visual Arts Center514 Green St NEGainesville, GA 30501
Hand-delivered paintings must arrive at Quinlan Visual Arts Center, Friday August 11th, between 11:00 am and 2:00 pm.
Pick-up is Monday October 9th, 2017 between 11:00 am and 2:00 pm., No early or late pick-ups allowed.
Award winners will be determined after selected paintings have been reviewed by the juror. GWS anticipates more than $1,500 in merchandise and cash awards.
Fees, Sales & Liability
- Entry fee: $20 for one entry; $25 for two entries; $30 for three entries.
- Georgia Watercolor Society will charge 45% commission on all sales. 35% will go to the Quinlan Visual Arts Center and 10% will be retained by GWS. Paintings not for sale must be marked NFS on the entry form.
- There will be no price changes after acceptance.
- Although the utmost care is taken in handling paintings neither the Georgia Watercolor Society, GWS Representatives, nor the Quinlan Visual Arts Center will be responsible for damage or loss, whatever the cause. Artists are encouraged to carry their own insurance.
- Title of the painting
- Size of frame and size of painting in inches (height x width, i.e., 22” x 30”)
- Selling price or NFS (Not for Sale)
You will need a digital .jpg image of each painting saved on your computer per these instructions:
- Image resolution 300 DPI
- Image is 1800 pixels on the longer side
- File size less than 2.0 Mb
- Filename includes the title of the painting Example: PragueAtDusk.jpg
Payment online can be made via PayPal or credit card.
If you have trouble with the online payment, please send a check to:
310 Horseshoe Bend
Cairo GA 39828
OR send your paypal payment directly to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate that it is for the Member Show Entry.
Figurative Design Watercolor Workshop
with Jeannie McGuire
Demonstration: Saturday, August 19, 2017, 10 am – 12:00 pm
Quinlan Visual Arts Center
In Jeannie’s Figurative Design Watercolor Workshops she shares many aspects of her art through versatile projects and extended experimentation. As a student you are encouraged to be inspired by the instructors approach; to imagine a story, character and persona of the people in your reference photos; to find your own unique signature/style or improve upon your drawing and painting skills; discover the freedom of intuitive painting and go beyond illustration and create paintings worthy of exhibition. Students will explore the interplay between the figurative subject(s) and their backgrounds, natural design in reference materials, cropping impact, pigment maintenance, using a higher ratio of pigment to water, intentional and spontaneous marks, use of titanium white, and the freedom to change one’s mind. Each day begins with a demo pertaining to the days project such as; exploring eyes and faces in an unconventional way; focusing on a single figure with an obscure background; and intertwining a group of people with their background elements. Students receive plenty of personal attention and painting time.
Workshop space is limited. Admission is on a first-come, first-served basis.
Fees are $425.00 for GWS members and $475.00 for non-members for the four day workshop.
A non-refundable deposit of $200 will reserve your spot. Full payment is due by August 7th.