March 9, 2019 – April 26, 2019
Bowen Center for the Arts Dawsonville, GA 30534
Juror: Paul Jackson
Anticipated $10,000 in awards!!
“Manhattan Tapestry” by Paul Jackson
|January 2||Deadline to receive entries|
|January 25||Acceptances posted on GWS website|
|Feb 19 – Feb 27||Shipped work arrives|
|March 2||Hand delivered work arrives 11:00 am – 2:00 pm|
|March 9||Opening Reception 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm|
|March 19-22||Paul Jackson workshop|
|March 23||10:00 am – 10:30 am GWS Annual Meeting
10:30 am – 12:30 pm Paul Jackson Demonstration
12:30 am – 2:00 pm Awards Reception
|April 26||Exhibition closes|
|April 27||Pick up paintings 11:00 am – 2:00 pm
Shipped works returned
- This competition is open to all artists 17 years of age and older. You need not be a resident of Georgia to enter.
- All paintings must be original work using watermedia. Watercolor, acrylic, casein, gouache, and egg tempera are all allowed. Pastels and oil, including water-soluble oil, are not allowed. Mixed media and collage are acceptable but only if all elements are made using watermedia created by the artist.
- No preprinted or computer generated images are allowed.
- Work must be on paper, Yupo, watercolor canvas, canvas or Claybord.
- Not Permitted: Work done in a workshop or under classroom supervision or work that attempts to render another artist’s painting is not permitted.
- All work must have been completed in the last two years
- Work previously exhibited in any GWS show is not eligible.
- If your painting is accepted you will be required to sign a disclaimer form affirming that your work is not a copy or likeness of another’s work and that it is your original work from conception to completion without supervision.
- Click here for further clarification
- All paintings are to be framed in wood or metal; acceptable colors include gold, silver, black, brown or natural wood tones. Cradled Clayboard is not required to be framed; all other paintings require framing, including canvas.
- Frames are to be plain and unadorned and should not exceed 3” in width. They must be ready for hanging with wire in place.
- Plexiglass must be used – NO GLASS.
- Work may be varnished or waxed before framing (These paintings do not require plexiglass).
- Maximum frame size may not exceed 48” in either direction.
- No painting shall be smaller than 8” x 10”
- Mats and liners, if any, must be white or variations of white (e.g. cream or off-white).
- Improperly framed pieces or those unsuitable for hanging will be returned.
Cind s-a furat bicicleta ce fel de măsuri sunt necesare de adoptat imediat.
Packaging & Delivery/Shipping
- Timing: Ship artwork so as to arrive between Feb 19 – Feb 27.
SHIP VIA UPS OR FEDEX ONLY TO:Bowen Center for the Arts
334 Highway 9N
Dawsonville, GA 30534
(706) 216-ARTS (2787)
- Airfloat, Masterpack or comparable foam lined boxes are strongly recommended. You can call Airfloat at 800-445-2580 and ask for GWS member discount. Proper packaging is imperative to protect your work. Improper packaging may result in damaged, returned or unopened shipments. There is a handling fee of $25.00 for artists who do not use these boxes.
- Attach a photo of the painting inside the box so that it is visible when repacking. This will help ensure that the correct painting is returned to you.
- Wood or metal crates will not be accepted.
- Packages sent with popcorn packaging will be returned.
- A prepaid return shipping label must be enclosed.
Hand-delivered paintings must arrive at Bowen Center for the Arts, March 2th, between 11:00 am and 2:00 pm.
Pick-up is April 27th, 2019 between 11:00 am and 2:00 pm., No early or late pick-ups allowed.
Award winners will be determined after selected paintings have been reviewed by the juror. GWS anticipates more than $10,000 in merchandise and cash awards.
Fees, Sales & Liability
- Entry fee for up to three entries: $35 for members; $45 for non-members.
- Georgia Watercolor Society will charge 40% commission on all sales. 30% will go to the The Bowen Center for the Arts and 10% will be retained by GWS. Paintings not for sale must be marked NFS on the entry form.
- There will be no price changes after acceptance.
- Although the utmost care is taken in handling paintings neither the Georgia Watercolor Society, GWS Representatives, nor the Bowen Center for the Arts will be responsible for damage or loss, whatever the cause. Artists are encouraged to carry their own insurance.
- There is a handling fee for shipped paintings of $25.00. Make your check payable to Georgia Watercolor Society and include it with your painting, This fee is waived for artists who pack in Airfloat, Masterpack or comparable foam lined boxes.
Work accepted for the exhibition must be received by the final delivery date of March 2, 2019. No work may be withdrawn before the close of the exhibition. Once the artist’s painting has been accepted, the artist may not substitute another work, may not modify the painting in any way, nor change the sale price. If the work has been changed from the JPEG entry image, it will be excluded from the show. In the event of such an exclusion or if the accepted piece is not delivered, the artist will be ineligible to enter any GWS show for one year.
- Title of the painting
- Size of frame and size of painting in inches (height x width, i.e., 22” x 30”)
- Selling price or NFS (Not for Sale)
You will need a digital .jpg image of each painting saved on your computer per these instructions:
- Image resolution 300 DPI
- Image is 1800 pixels on the longer side
- File size less than 2.0 Mb
- Filename includes the title of the painting Example: PragueAtDusk.jpg
Payment online can be made via PayPal or credit card.
If you have trouble with the online payment, please send a check to:
1922 Johnson Ferry Rd NE Apt D
Brookhaven, GA 30319
OR send your paypal payment directly to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate that it is for the National Show Entry.
Workshop with Paul Jackson
Demonstration: Saturday, March 23, 2019, 10:30 am – 12:30 pm
Bowen Center for the Arts
Paint with Paul and he’ll help you reach the next level of artistic confidence and ability as he guides you through a painting, illustrating the principles of design, color, value, composition and the mechanics of watercolor.
Through informal lectures, discussions, demonstrations and critiques you refine your personal painting style. Come prepared to be entertained, make new artist friends and find logical and creative answers to your watercolor problems.
Paul will demonstrate the versatility of watercolor paint. You will learn how to work in thin layers of washes to build up luminous colors. Paul will lead you step-by-step with demonstrations of the painting process. Emphasis will be on what makes a good painting, planning the entire picture area, the importance of thinking through the composition, good division of shapes, value planning, what to communicate about the subject, and how to correct mistakes.
If watercolor is your passion, then this highly energized painting workshop is for you! Paul’s stress-free, positive approach toward the act of painting will inspire you to loosen up and have fun again. Expect an intense, concentrated and lively workshop where you will elevate your understanding of watercolor. Beginners are always welcome!
Paul is the author of Painting Spectacular Light Effects in Watercolor and The Wandering Watercolorist.
Fees are $475.00 for GWS members and $500.00 for non-members for the four day workshop.
Sign Up for Workshop Online Now