Dates: August 14, 2020 – September 25, 2020
Sautee Nacoochee Center, Sautee Nacoochee, Georgia
Juror: Pat Dews, AWS-d.f., NWS
Anticipated $1500 in Awards!
“Barren Plain 2” by Pat Dews
|June 5||Deadline to receive entries|
|June 13||Acceptances posted on GWS website|
|Aug 3 – 7||Shipped work should arrive at Sautee Nachoochee Center|
|August 8||Hand delivered work arrives 1:00 – 4:00 pm|
|August 27 – 29||Pat Dews online Zoom workshop 9:00 am – 12:00 pm|
Pat Dews Artist Talk and
|September 25||Exhibition closes|
|September 26||Pick up paintings 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm|
|September 29||Shipped works returned|
- This competition is open to all artists 17 years of age and older. You need not be a resident of Georgia to enter. Your 2020 membership dues must be current.
- All paintings must be original work using watermedia. Watercolor, acrylic, casein, gouache, and egg tempera are all allowed. Pastels and oil, including water-soluble oil, are not allowed. Mixed media and collage are acceptable but only if all elements are made using watermedia created by the artist.
- No preprinted or computer generated images are allowed.
- Work must be on paper, Yupo, watercolor canvas, canvas or Claybord. Rice paper and Tyvek are permissable.
- All work must be original from conception to completion. Submitted artwork may not be a copy, likeness, or direct derivative of another person’s work including paintings, drawings, photography, digital images or prints. Work done in a classroom setting or under supervision is also not permitted includinhhat attempts to render another artist’s painting is not permitted. See FAQ’s for further clarification.
- All work must have been completed after May 1, 2018.
- Work previously exhibited in any GWS show is not eligible.
- If your painting is accepted you will be required to sign a disclaimer form affirming that your work is not a copy or likeness of another’s work and that it is your original work from conception to completion without supervision.
- Click here for further clarification
- All paintings are to be framed in wood or metal; acceptable colors include gold, silver, black, brown or natural wood tones. Cradled Clayboard is not required to be framed; all other paintings require framing, including canvas.
- Frames are to be plain and unadorned and should not exceed 3” in width. They must be ready for hanging with wire in place.
- Plexiglass must be used – NO GLASS.
- Work may be varnished or waxed before framing (These paintings do not require plexiglass).
- Maximum frame size may not exceed 48” in either direction.
- No painting shall be smaller than 8” x 10”
- Mats and liners, if any, must be white or variations of white (e.g. cream or off-white).
- Improperly framed pieces or those unsuitable for hanging will be returned.
Packaging & Delivery/Shipping
SHIP VIA UPS OR FEDEX ONLY TO:Sautee Nacoochee Center
283 Highway 255N
Sautee Nachoochee, GA 30571
- Airfloat, Masterpack or comparable foam lined boxes are strongly recommended. You can call Airfloat at 800-445-2580 and ask for GWS member discount. Proper packaging is imperative to protect your work. Improper packaging may result in damaged, returned or unopened shipments. There is a handling fee of $25.00 for artists who do not use these boxes.
- Attach a photo of the painting inside the box so that it is visible when repacking. This will help ensure that the correct painting is returned to you.
- Wood or metal crates will not be accepted.
- Packages sent with popcorn packaging will be returned.
- Paintings must be shipped to arrive at the center between August 3 and August 7, 2020.
- A prepaid return shipping label must be enclosed.
Hand-delivered paintings must arrive at Sautee Nachoochee Center 283 Highway 255N, Sautee Nachoochee, GA on August 8, 2020 between 1:00 pm and 4:00 pm.
Pick-up is September 26th between 1:00 pm and 4:00 pm. No early or late pick-ups allowed.
Pat Dews will jury and judge the show. GWS anticipates more than $1500 in cash awards.
Fees, Sales & Liability
- Entry fee for up to three entries: $35 for members.
- There will be a 40% commission on all sales. 30% will go to the Sautee Nachoochee Center and 10% will be retained by GWS. Please price your sales accordingly. Paintings not for sale must be marked NFS on the entry form.
- There will be no price changes after acceptance.
- Although the utmost care is taken in handling paintings neither the Georgia Watercolor Society, GWS representatives, nor the Sautee Nachoochee Center will be responsible for damage or loss, whatever the cause. Artists are encouraged to carry their own insurance.
- There is a handling fee for shipped paintings of $25.00. Make your check payable to Georgia Watercolor Society and include it with your painting, This fee is waived for artists who pack in Airfloat, Masterpack or comparable foam lined boxes.
Accepted artists will be required to sign a disclaimer confirming that their work abides bt the conditions stated in this prospectus. No paintings juried into the show will be hung without a signed disclaimer form. The exhibition committee reserves the right to remove any painting that does not comply with the exhibition requirements and can retroactively rescind any awards or recognition that may have been received post jurying. Work accepted for the exhibition must be received by the final delivery date of August 8, 2020. No work may be withdrawn before the close of the exhibition. Once the artist’s painting has been accepted, the artist may not substitute another work, may not modify the painting in any way, nor change the sale price. If the work has been changed from the JPEG entry image, it will be removed from the show. In the event of such an exclusion or if the accepted piece is not delivered, the artist will not be eligible to enter any GWS show for one year. The decisions of the GWS exhibition committee are final. Anyone who attempts to influence, intimidate and/or harass a judge, exhibitor, board member or exhibition committee member can be banned from the current show and from future entry in GWS exhibitions by vote of the board.
- Title of the painting
- Size of frame and size of painting in inches (height x width, i.e., 22” x 30”)
- Selling price or NFS (Not for Sale)
You will need a digital .jpg image of each painting saved on your computer per these instructions:
- Image resolution 300 DPI
- Image is 1800 pixels on the longer side
- File size less than 2.0 Mb
- Filename includes the title of the painting Example: PragueAtDusk.jpg
Payment online can be made via PayPal or credit card.
If you have trouble with the online payment, please send a check made payable to Georgia Watercolor Society to:
OR send your paypal payment directly to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate that it is for the Member Show Entry.